If you’ve always wanted to learn about music and how to get started using technology, these set of links will spark your curiosity in all kinds of ways.
With plenty of bookmarked free online resources collected its time to bring them together which can be incredibly useful if you’re away from your main music workstation. Things like online BPM counters, tuners, virtual instruments and web based music sequencers can be life savers when you’re making music or recording audio outside of your studio.
NP Have another 60 -70 projects to upload will do this over the next week
HOLLOW SUN offers handcrafted samples as a whole bunch of freebies
ADSR | A huge selection of free preset packs from leading sound designers.
Rekkerd | A huge archive of free patches for virtual instruments.
KVR Audio | Database of patches and sound banks submitted by KVR Audio members.
AudioBombs | A fresh archive of free synth patches and sound banks.
BigTick Zen | Manage and launch all your synth patches from a single plugin.
Space Bumps browser synthesizer to create experimental and ambient soundscapes
World’s largest modular synthesizer Try it out here and learn more
Make beats in your browser with 108 a minimal beat machine
Explore Harmonies in Your Browser with This Free Arpeggiator
Digital Audio Workstation of over 60 Flash Vintage Projects
Patatap | A free jamming and beat making tool.
Type Drummer What Drum Loop Does Your Name Play
BlokDust | An impressive online modular environment for music making (Chrome)
KiKi | Online tool for sampling and chopping.
Theremin | A free touch friendly synthesizer which works great as a dub siren.
WAVE-PD1 | Another touch friendly virtual instrument.
Tibersynth | Make totally weird noises and swooshes with your mouse.
Websynths | Powerful VA synthesizer with a built-in preset manager.
Chrome Music Lab. Blending music and technology.
106.js | A Roland Juno-106 emulation with MIDI support in Chrome.
WebModular | Play a modular synthesizer in your web browser.
TrueGrid | A complex modular synthesizer with patch saving and audio export.
Tanguy | Virtual analogue synthesizer capable of processing external audio.
Patchwork | An awesome experimental modular synthesizer. Build your synth from scratch.
Acid Machine Beta | A pair of TB-303 bass modules and one TR-909 drum machine.
AngryOctopus | A collection of web-based virtual instruments (requires Java).
PatternSketch | Cool grid based sequencer with several kits and export functionality.
Tonematrix | A simple tone matrix from the makers of Audiotool.
Otomata | Another matrix sequencer for jamming and inspiration.
PulseBoy | Free Game Boy style tracker.
Seaquence | A totally weird generative music sequencer.
SiON FM Synthesizer WF-1 | Neat FM synthesizer with a mouse controlled filter.
WebSID | Browser based Commodore 64 style synthesizer.
MiniGoog | A Minimoog Google Doodle in celebration of Robert Moog’s 78th birthday.
Sample-stitch | Re-create iconic hip hop tunes with your computer keyboard.
Musical Keyboard | A really simple online piano keyboard.
Sampulator Make Beats in your Browser
Music DNA visualizes the frequencies of an MP3
LOOP makes you a composer create a song in less than a minute
Online Drum Machines
WebAudio Drum Machine | Online drum sequencer with several kits and effects.
HTML5 Drum Machine | Create classic drum machine loops and export the results to WAV.
FL 909 | Free Roland TR-909 emulation.
808 | A simple Roland TR-808 kit for online jamming.
Sequence | Free drum pattern generator with over 100 free drum samples.
Monkey Machine | A simple free drum machine from the creator of MauSynth.
Qwerty Beats | Online drum machine with a freaky mouse controlled synth.
JS-909 | Web based drum machine (requires QuickTime).
Drum Kit | You, your computer keyboard and 26 weird samples.
“Soundplant 45” – The Computer Keyboard Sound Triggering Software
The Infinite Drum Machine, lets you create beats using sounds from everyday
TR 909 Drum Machine Replica developed using HTML5
“Acid Machine” a web based tool for creating Acid Techno
Smackos 808 Simulator for Ableton
The Ultimate Noise Machine – the multi-purpose noise generator
Bfxr | Creates 8-bit sound effects which you can download in WAV format.
Text to Speech | Convert any text to speech and download the result as an MP3 file.
Online Tone Generator | A handy test tone generator.
Sweep Sine Tone | Sweep tone generator for testing your monitors and room acoustics.
Noisli | A wonderful background noise generator to help you relax and focus.
Defonic | Another free noise generator to help you relax.
sound tests, audio test tones, and tone generators Online and Free
Two more online noise machines relaxing music & sound generator
27 interactive nature scenes and sounds Unplug and power down
This generator of rain sounds will put you to sleep in a second
Clyp | A completely free (no registration required) to share your music online.
Splice | Online platform for music creation and sharing.
Musistic | A free plugin that lets you collaborate online through your DAW.
Indaba Music | Free online music collaboration platform.
Ohm Studio | The first free online collaboration platform for musicians.
Blend | Collaborate online and create remixes (powered by Dropbox).
Kompoz | Collaborate with musicians from around the world.
Livegit | A free online collaborative DAW.
JAM with Chrome | Jam with your friends in Google Chrome.
Plink | A fun way to pass time and make music with total strangers. 🙂
EQ Your Ears | Identify specific frequencies with this online tool.
EQ Match | Simple graphic EQ trainer.
Note Ear Training | Identify notes by ear.
Pitchimprover | Absolute pitch training.
The Music Intervals Tutor | Recognize music intervals by ear.
EarTeach | Various ear training utilities.
Blind Listening Tests | Various tools to test your ears.
Autochord | Chord progression generator based on key and playing style.
Interactive Circle of Fifths | An easy to use online circle of fifths.
Interactive Frequency Chart | Interactive frequency chart with an ear sensitivity graph.
Metronome Online | Free online metronome and tone generator.
Tap for BPM | A free tap tempo tool to calculate BPM.
Music Calculator | Convert BPM values, calculate transpose ratios, etc.
Tunerr | Free tuner tool which uses the microphone input on your computer.
Introduction To Music Production | Free music production course by Berklee College of Music.
Pro Audio Essentials | Video tutorials and music production practice tools by iZotope.
How To Make Electronic Music | An epic intro to electronic music production.
EQ Masterclass | In-depth series of EQ tutorial videos by ADSR.
Thinking inside the Box | Great beginner’s guide to EQ.
Compression 101 | Great beginner’s guide to compression.
Compress to impress | Compression tutorial for the electronic musician.
Kim Lajoie Blog Dump | PDF archive of Kim Lajoie’s music production tips.
3 Mixing Secrets From The Legendary Andy Wallace | A reminder to keep it simple.
How to Make a Noise | A legendary free eBook guide to synthesizer programming.
Synthesis Fundamentals | Free tutorials for absolute beginners by the Bob Moog Foundation.
Synth Student | Beginner’s guide to subtractive synthesis.
Synthesis types | Understand different types of sound synthesis.
How To Bass | A series of tutorials for creating heavy bass sounds (by SeamlessR).
Syntorial | Software for learning synthesis. First 22 lessons are free.
Music Theory for Musicians and Normal People | A lighthearted intro to music theory.
Music Theory: The TL;DR Version | Music theory guide for EDM producers with short attention spans.
Music Theory for Songwriters | A comprehensive guide to music theory for songwriters.
Open Yale Courses | A useful collection of free music video courses by Yale University.
10 Chord Progression Tips | Interesting chord progression tips from a jazz musician.
Music Theory Cheat Sheet | A handy TXT file cheat sheet for music theory.
Making Music | Free chapters from Ableton’s epic book for musicians and music producers.
A Club Track’s Frequency Map | A cool print friendly frequency chart by FutureMusic.
EQ tips Cheat Sheet | EQ cheat sheet available for download in PDF format.
RealTraps | A guide to testing room acoustics with free software.
D/A and A/D Digital Show and Tell | Explains various digital audio myths.
SoundCloud | The most popular online platform for uploading and sharing your music.
Bandcamp | Build your artist profile and share your music with your fans.
sfx.io | The Imgur of audio, a quick way to upload and share your music.
Backup & Productivity
Wavestack | Backup your recording sessions and share them with collaborators.
Dropbox | A great free solution for backing up your files online.
Hive | Upload and share your music and other materials.
Evernote | Take notes of all your projects and ideas in one place.
Trello | A great tool for managing your projects and collaborations.
Google Keep | Use this online note saving tool to keep track of your ideas and tasks.
Toggl | Time tracking utility to help you stay focused and measure your productivity.
Pocket | Easily save online resources (such as this article) for offline reading.
Artwork Creator | Create your album artwork for free.
CD Cover | Make a simple CD cover with your printer and a bit of paper.
Hipster Logo Generator | A free logo generator. Also works for simple album art and covers.
Squarespace Logo | Another simple logo generator.
Facebook Cover Collection Freebie | Nice looking PSD templates for Facebook cover images.
Pixlr | Great free online image editor similar to Photoshop.
Canva | Incredibly cool free graphics editor to make covers and promo images.
Sonic Candle | Completely free tool to generate an HD music video with a spectrum display.
Audio Visualizer Creator 2.0v | Free music visualizer generator (requires Adobe After Effects).
Blender | Free alternative for After Effects. Loads of tutorials available on YouTube.
WordPress.com | A powerful free blogging and blog hosting platform.
Strikingly | Build a beautiful looking free portfolio or artist website in minutes.
FourFour | Free website platform made specifically for musicians.
Flavors.me | Make a free artist website with links to your social media profiles.
MailChimp | Build a free mailing list for up to 2000 subscribers.
JSyn – Audio Synthesis Software API for Java
Auracle a networked sound instrument, controlled by the voice.
Hell Cafe an interactive musical instrument 8 layers of tranced out loop generators. & 9 tracks of rhythm generators
Listen and create ambient sounds easily
Netlib is a collection of mathematical software, papers, and databases.
Interactive Compositions and Computer Music Instruments
Musicdsp.org is a collection of data, gathered for the music dsp community. (source codes)
Magical8bitPlug synthesizer software for producing sounds like the old 8bit game consoles.
Pro Audio Files 100+ hand-crafted drum samples, loops, effects, transitions, impulse responses, reverb tails, synths, harmonies and more Free download
- Auxy – Modern instruments for mobile creators.
(sorry if any double ups, I started another page awhile back taking from there and adding )Webapps
- Arpeggiator – Web Audio Arpeggiator.
- Djenerator – A metal breakdown generator.
- Jamwithchrome – Play music live with your friends online.
- Keithwhor.com/music – Musical Keyboard – JS Dynamic Audio Synth.
- Klangmeister – Live coding environment for the browser.
- Lissajous – A tool for programmatic audio performance in the browser.
- Loopjs – Live Electronic Music Performance Software.
- Looplabs – Cloud based music studio.
- Musical Chord Progression Arpeggiator – Sketch out musical chord progressions.
- Repeater Orchestra – An orchestra of repeaters which repeat the conductor.
- Synth Time – Simple synthesizer.
- Websynths – Free browser-based microtonal midi instrument.
- Qwerkey – Keyboard tonnetz.
Ciat Lonbarde – Peter Blasser, creator of the ‘Shinth’, a circuit designed to be bent, along with many other unique diy synths! He sells kits and completed units, as well as offering free “paper circuits” for you to download and build.
- This Site
- Computer: Pseudorandom
- RNG Implementations and Related Topics (26K)
- A Practical “Perfect” Pseudo-Random Number Generator
- Randomness resources for Dr. Dobb’s Journal readers
- Random number generators — The pLab Project Home Page
- The World-Wide Web Virtual Library: Random Numbers and Monte Carlo methods
- Pseudorandom Generators
- Random Number Generation, Taygeta Scientific Inc.
- Physical Measurement: Really Random
- ciphergoth.org Generating random binary data from Geiger counters
- Cryptographic Random Numbers
- Empirical Testing of Random Number Generators
- Global Consciousness Project
- Générateurs de Nombres Aléatoires – Random Number Generators (RNG)
- HyperStat Online An Introductory Statistics Textbook and Online Tutorial for Help in Statistics Courses
- Music & Noise
- NetLib random
- ORB – Open Random Bit Generator
- Peter Hellekalek’s Literature on Random Number Generators, updated 01-2002
- Pseudo random number generators
- Random bit generation
- Random Noise Sources
- Random Number Generators
- random.org – true random number service
- References to random numbers, numerics and statistics
- Resources for random number generation
- RNG links
- Robert Davies
- Software description about the Random Number Generator (RNG) from ORION Products
- StatLib Data, Software and News from the Statistics Community
- The HAVEGE unpredictable random number generator
- UNbiased Random Number Generation
- Pascal and Delphi
- Art of Assembly Language Programming
- C Sharp C# Help For C# Developers
- C# Station
- Delphi Stuff
- DelphiFAQ Database Programming FAQ
- Digital Mars C, C++ and D Compilers
- Dive Into Accessibility
- Dive Into Python
- efg’s Reference Library Delphi Cryptography and Multiple-Precision Arithmetic
- Electronic Software Publishing Corporation (Elsop)
- FAQTs – Get the faqts, and nothing but the faqts
- Online calculators, simulators and wizards for the electronics design engineer
- Open Directory – Computers Programming Languages Delphi Cryptography
- Paul Hsieh’s Programming Page
- Programmers Heaven – Delphi & Kylix programming zone
- Python Language Website
- Sharp New Language C# Offers the Power of C++ and Simplicity of Visual Basic — MSDN Magazine,
- Simple Script Security
- Snippets of C code
- Tangentsoft RFC stash
- The Delphi Cryptography Page
- The Genetic Programming Notebook
- The Graphics File Format Page (2D specs)
- The Graphics File Format Page (utils + info)
- The HTML Reference Library v4.0 – Where can I get one
- W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
- Web Developer’s Virtual Library Encyclopedia of Web Design Tutorials, Articles and Discussions
- — MEGAHERTZ Magazine pour les passionnés de radiocommunication — Accueil
- 101 Electronics Links
- 2 x AT90S2313-10PI
- AACircuit V1.21
- ABS Computer Technologies Inc. — abspc.com (High Quality, Low Cost, Affordable, Great Value PC
- Acorn Atom in an FPGA
- Alan DeKok’s 6809 Page
- All FREE Software – Part 1
- ALPS ELECTRIC(USA), INC
- Aluminum, Ceramic and Tantalum World-Class Capacitor and EMI Filter Manufacturer
- AMPLIFICATION OSCILLATORS FEEDBACK
- Analogue Design For Teletubbys
- Andy’s neue Webpage
- ATMEL AT90S8515
- Audio Design Software
- Audio Scientific – Audio Expertise for Digital World
- AVX Online
- Basic Stamp – Index
- Beige Bag Software User Resources
- BOOK Principles of Semi Dev
- Bowden’s Hobby Circuits
- Brooke’s Web Page
- Build a Simple Bat Detector – Parts List
- Build a Simple Bat Detector
- Build an Enhanced Simple Bat Detector
- Circuit Sage Analog-RF Design Resources
- Circuits in the Circuits Archive
- CMP Magazine Services
- Common Questions Beginners Ask and their Answers
- Conversion Chart, inches to mm, millimeters to inches, Klarmann Rulings Inc. manufactures high
- Data Communications
- Data sheets pages
- David Gibson – Projects
- Desktop TV Tuner Card (6000704)
- Development and Prototype boards and tools for PIC AVR and MSP430
- Device Programmers for EPROM, GAL, FLASH, etc…
- Dick Smith ESR Meter Kit
- Discover Circuits – Digital – Logic Circuits
- Discover Circuits — Index of Schematic Categories
- DL4YHF’s Audio Spectrum Analyser
- Dontronics – AVR AT90S8515 getting started code.
- DT006 – AVR Starter System
- Duracell Technical-OEM
- Educational resources
- EE Times Online
- Electrical Engineering Links – Distributors
- electron Tube Data sheets – 1
- electronic – downloads – datasheets
- Electronic Circuit Schematics
- Electronic Circuits for the Hobbyist
- Electronic Design
- Electronic Guitar Effects Circuits
- Electronic Instrument, Oscilloscope, Power Supply, Signal Generator
- Electronic oscillators
- Electronics Index
- Electronics Lab – Home
- electronics library free technical online directory dedicated to research and devellopment and science advances for all enginee
- Electronics plans and circuit schematics, free on the Internet.
- Elliott Sound Products – DIY Audio Articles
- ELM – AVR programmer
- ELM – SIMPLE GAL PROGRAMMER
- ePanorama electronics basics
- EPE Online Oscillators
- EPROM, EEPROM, FLASH, MCS-51, MCS-48, MCS-41, PIC Programmer
- ESP Projects Pages – DIY Audio and Electronics
- Frame Home page for EPE Online
- free software for designing electronic circuits and test equipment software
- FreeVIEW sound
- Frequency Analyzer
- FTDI Home Page
- G3SEK’s Amateur Radio Technical Notebook – In Practice
- Geek Hideout — Main
- Geiger and Scintillator repair for 1950s counters
- Global Electronic Components Datasheet Locator
- GPS System
- Group DIY – Mic-pres
- Guitar Effects Web Page
- Guitar Wah and Fuzz Projects
- Ham Radio Technical Reference
- Hans’ Site
- HeadWize – A Resource Site for Headphones and Headphone Listening.
- Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier Design
- Hobby Engineering Interfaces Section
- home – carcino.gen.nz
- Homemade computers
- Hugh Piggott – Scoraig Wind Electric
- IC MASTER Online – The electronic industry’s leading source of IC info
- Index of -~fmeral-CIRCUITS
- Index of -~rayfrey-431
- Interesting Electronic Schematics and Circuits – Novotill
- International Rectifier – Application Notes
- JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. – APPLICATION NOTES AND SCHEMATICS
- Joe Roberts
- Lammert Bies RS232 UART information
- Laurier’s Handy Dandy Little Circuits
- Leach Amp Plans – Part 1
- Learn Electronics Tutorials & Information Pages
- Leroys Engineering Web Site; Oscillators
- Lightkeeper PRO
- LND, INC. Radiation Detectors Home Page
- Low Cost Wireless Network How-To
- Low Phase Noise Crystal Oscillators
- Machine Vision
- Magnetism quantities, units and relationships
- MaxCAD Free Schematic SW
- Measuring tool links
- Mister Transistor’s Historic Semiconductors
- MPSA05 to PN2222
- Mr. Evil’s realm
- Noise Zone
- Nutshell High Fidelity
- ONE PAS, INC. Prototyping Boards
- Pass D.I.Y. Home of DIY Audio, Amplifiers, Preamps and Speakers
- PC hardware pages
- Pedro and Patrick.
- PJRC MP3 Player, Display Communication Protocol
- PJRC MP3 Player, LCD Fonts
- PLETRONICS APPLICATION NOTE ON JITTER
- PowerLabs High Voltage Research!
- Proto-Chip – Surface Mount prototyping circuit board for layout of miniature SMD parts, asembly
- Publications of the Headquarters, United States Army Corps of Engineers
- QRP-L – Low Power Amateur Radio
- RadanPRO – DATA SHEETS MCxx SERIES
- Reliable Software – Sampling Sound
- Research History of Alfio Zanchi
- RIAA Explained in 6 pages
- Sam Barros’ PowerLabs!
- schematic interchange
- Seal Electronics – Audio Amplifier Kits
- Search results for 757p in ChipDocs
- Semiconductor Physics for Solid State Electronics
- Silonex Inc.
- SMD marking codes (Codes beginning with ‘M’)
- Socratic Electronics
- Spark, Bang, Buzz and Other Good Stuff.
- Steve’s Tube Pages
- Super Project Links
- Sync-Time Atomic Clock
- t3h GeeK ZonE
- Tesla Coil Mailing List
- The Carl and Jerry stories from Popular Electronics, October 1954 through December 1964
- The Circuit Archive
- The Class-A Amplifier Site
- The Electronic Hoard
- The PC’s Parallel Port
- The Sonically Pure pages
- The Technician’s Filing Cabinet
- The Tube CAD Journal Table of Contents
- The Valve Techie Page
- Tjaco’s design graveyard
- Tomi Engdahl’s Electronics Pages
- Tonne Software homepage
- Tools and Supplies for Building Scale Models – Micro-Mark The Small Tool Specialists
- TubePad 5.0
- Twibright Labs Ronja
- Understanding the BJT Model Statement
- Update Information
- W.J. Ford Surplus Enterprises – testequipmentcanada.com
- Welcome to GALBlast
- Welcome to OTHERPOWER.COM
- What’s All This Homepage Stuff, Anyhow
- Zoom Modems North America
- Zoom Telephonics Lucent External V.90 Dualmode Faxmodem
- Zvon – RFC 3385
Part Two -free online resources that will spark your music curiosity in creative ways